Our Nation is amid turbulent times. The historic COVID-19 pandemic, along with the subsequent economic downfall, back to back senseless deaths of African Americans such as George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery and Breonna Taylor, has amplified inequities and the disparities that many people of color face daily.
In the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., “Democracy transformed from thin paper to thick action is the greatest form of government on earth”. We understand real change requires transformation of legislation and leadership at the highest levels.
On October 4, 2020 at 3pm CST, a historic group of community organizations with varying aims, targets and focal geographic areas are partnering together for the common goals of voter education and boosting African American voter participation. To be more specific, the amalgamation of nonpartisan organizations has the following goals:
- Inform the community what they need to know, and what they need to have as they go to
- Connect the power of voting to the issues that impact our Black
- Amplify the narrative and push the community to utilize our power and vote in the November Presidential General
The Event Agenda is as follows:
- Voter Education Logistics – Joan Nixon/Nashville Election Commission Early Voting Dates
Absentee Ballot Process Election Day
Legal Rights Voter ID
● Impact of Voting – THE BLACK VOTE –
Judicial Selection/Branches of Government – Rep. Harold Love, Jr. TN General Assembly
Economic Policy – Clifton Harris, ULMT
Black Businesses Workforce Development
Voting Rights/Restoration – Keeda Haynes, Legal Advisor/Public Defender Policing/Criminal Justice Reform – Van Turner, NAACP Memphis/County Commissioner
Education – Sen. Ramesh Akbari, TN General Assembly
Moderator – Ashford Hughes, Metro Nashville Public Schools, Executive Officer of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Call to Action – Sen. Brenda Gilmore, TN General Assembly
Final Remarks – L. Lamont Banks, Most Worshipful Grand Master, TN Prince Hall Masons
The event is expected to bring several thousand participants and can be viewed virtually via Facebook Live on the TN Masons PHA or NPHC of Nashville pages.
Following the event at approximately 4:30 PM CST event attendees and the press will be allowed to ask panelist and/or event organizers questions. News crews are welcomed to cover all parts of the event.
- Panhellenic Councils | Nashville, Chattanooga, Memphis and Clarksville
- Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge Free and Accepted Mason, Jurisdiction of TN
- Excelsior Grand Chapter, Order of Eastern Star, TN Jurisdiction
- Urban League of Middle TN
- The Equity Alliance
- NAACP TN State Conference
- Top Ladies of Distinction
- NHBW (National Hook Up of Black Women)
- Charms Incorporated | Nashville Chapter
- The Links Incorporated | Nashville Chapter
- National Coalition of 100 Black Women, Inc. | Nashville Chapter